Saturday, November 24, 2007

"I've got plenty to be thankful for"

I'm thankful for, among so much else.... cranberry tea and football games and traditions and stone fireplaces and cream cheese frosting on pumpkin cookies and Christmas lights and Christmas music in the kitchen and cinnamon candles and endless turkey leftovers and snow on Thanksgiving Eve and nutmeg-sprinkled eggnog and all four Lethal Weapons for $10 and Christmas movies at night and "homemade" and

my neighbors being home when I locked myself out of the house on Wednesday. As cold as it was running down the street in my pajamas and socks, I enjoyed meeting Peggy and Phil.
("Which house do you live in?" Peggy asked me.
"That blue one down there," I answered.
"Do you live at home? I've never seen you before."
I should have introduced myself as Boo Radley and then stabbed her leg with a pair of scissors.)

and afternoon naps, which I think I'm going to take right now, as Alton Brown makes coconut cake on the Food Network.

Oh there's no place like home for the holidays // for no matter how far away you roam // If you want to be happy in a million ways // for the holidays you can't beat home sweet home

2 comments:

  1. How did you lock yourself out of the house?
    It's my own fault I can't grasp references to /To Kill a Mockingbird/. It was at this time last year that I tried, yet again...and failed. At least I didn't fail at /Little Women/. I finished it today.
    It's coincidental that you quote "Home for the Holidays" in this post. I quoted that song to you in something I wrote to you, something that is on its way to you, something that you might receive around Tuesday of next week.
    I adored your long e-mail. I can't wait to reply. But as I already might have written eight pages to you (more like 9, since I adjusted the margins), I won't be writing a reply to your e-mail till later.
    Good night, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just me, making my rounds. Everything looks good here. Nice work.

    I like it here better.

    ReplyDelete