Wednesday, March 26, 2008

42 more days

I just looked down and noticed there's jelly on my chair. I wonder how long it's been there? (Rhymes! I smell poetry.) The last time I ate jelly was before spring break. I wonder how long it could remain there? Maybe I'll write a story about a blob of jelly that lives on the rocking part of my chair, and all its grand adventures rocking to and fro...back and forth....The excitement.

I put up a list of some DVDs for sale on the bulletin board in CPO a couple of weeks ago. Somebody thought it was pretty funny to cut off my DVDs so that all my sign said was, "FOR SALE, Heather ext. 5107" Oh, college students are so funny. And I still didn't get any takers!

Please try to incorporate "jot and tittle" into your every day vocabulary. Phrases like that can only brighten someone's day.

Yesterday I went to a luncheon in the Dougherty Room of the cafeteria where Jan Watson, a Christian fiction authoress, spoke about her journey to becoming a writer. There were probably 50 women in the room (and somehow a man), a few being college students but the majority being older women with gray hair and skirts with matching suit jackets. The centerpieces were brightly colored daisies in brightly colored watering cans that made me want to water the world with bright colors, and everything was proper and formal with soup spoons and lap napkins and water goblets. I felt out of place, but tried my best to keep from bumping my table neighbor and keep my elbows off the table.

Before our main course was served, I spied a plate of three crackers just for me. Next to those crackers I saw two blocks of cheese. I didn't want the crackers, so I just picked up a block of cheese and bit into it. It was soft and room temperature. Maybe it was bre. It didn't taste very good. I didn't like bre. A fellow classmate at the end of the table glanced at me as I took a bite, then glanced away as if she didn't want me to know she had glanced at me. I put my cheese back on my cracker plate and elegantly swigged some water from my goblet. (I like the word "elegantly" describing the word "swigged.")

Many minutes later, after seeing a woman spreading her "cheese" on her cracker, I realized that it wasn't cheese at all, but butter. I felt ridiculous next to coffee-drinking elders with names like Ruth and Marianne, while I had a block of butter on my plate with teeth-marks in it. I tried to make a joke of it to let the other women at my table know that I wasn't some savage butter-eating beast. When you think about it, why would our cafeteria serve bre?

Spring break would take all together too long to describe in one sitting, so perhaps I'll make little contributions here and there. Not to be mistaken with contribution margin, which is in fact sales minus variable costs. It looks like this:

S-VC=CM

I have an accounting exam tomorrow. It looks like this:

Heather+Accounting=Brain vessels bursting

Please know I'm wearing my Boston sweatshirt as I write this, which I so eagerly, anticipatedly alluded to in previous entries. Stay tuned for more tidbits from Spring Break '08.........

No comments:

Post a Comment