Thursday, December 3, 2009

John 21:22

God has a plan for your life. Do you realize that? Sometimes I forget that our lives as Christians all intricately work together in God's kingdom. Think of a clock, and how the movement of one piece allows another piece to move. Maybe, when God asks us to do something, we don't understand how it does any good. But the next day, three years down the road, or in eternity, perhaps it is allowing someone else to do something he couldn't otherwise have done.

It's almost like a chessboard of strategy. If we allow ourselves to be moved by God's hand, He can maneuver others who are allowing themselves to be moved to accomplish His goal. Maybe we won't see it on our trip or with our check or however it is we serve. But it is not for us to need to see everything. We just need to go and do. A friend of mine once said, "We are vessels to be used as the Master calls." God promises to be with us and to go with us. What more do we need to know?

Sometimes I get caught up in what others' callings are, or wanting my calling to be in the same direction as theirs. But then I'm reminded that God has a specific plan for me, for my life alone. What He does with me is not contingent on anyone or anything else. He will move people and things out of the way to take me where He wants me to go. And I don't want to interfere with His plan by clinging to things that are hindering Him from leading me to the place He wants me to be.

"He is wooing you from the jaws of distress to a spacious place free from restriction, to the comfort of your table laden with choice food"
(Job 36:16). I don't think that "comfort" means I'll be cozy and safe and free of troubles, but that by doing what the Lord calls me to do, I will be at home wherever He is. I can't think of a place more free from restriction or a table more laden with choice food than home, and I want to find that in Jesus. "'Come, follow me,' Jesus said, 'and I will make you fishers of men.' At once they left their nets and followed him" (Matthew 4:19-20).

You are my holiday
You are right in the middle of me
You are my hideaway
You are home
- Shane & Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment