Saturday, December 1, 2007

Leave the sewin' to the women

I like gender roles. I like that Sally got Billy to check the oil in her car and Henry can do 90 push-ups in a minute when I can’t even bench the bar that’s supposed to hold the weights. I’m not saying that all guys have to wield machine guns and walk across shards of glass a la John McClain in Die Hard, or that all girls must subscribe to Good Housekeeping and idolize Betty Crocker. I for one am always in the mood for a football game, and did you notice that, before Cat Cora, all the Iron Chefs were male? (For once I found myself telling the woman to get out of the kitchen!)

Sometimes I just get tired of the “anything you can do I can do” frame of mind.
I think people are getting so caught up in "equality" that they forget how wonderful being different really is. When I’m feeling weak and distraught, I appreciate that the guy I turn to is going to be someone strong that I lean on. Being “sensitive” doesn’t mean he has to cry when I get split ends. Stop telling guys to "get in touch with their emotions." If I wanted someone to cry with me, I'd turn to my girlfriends. I think that sometimes we look for things in the opposite sex that just aren't there, and instead of trying to put them there, let's appreciate what already is there. Instead of dragging your boyfriend to your family reunions and forcing him to watch the latest Nicholas Sparks book-turned-movie with you, appreciate that he can tighten the bolts on your bed frame and hook up the surround sound. I'll turn to my girlfriends if I want to watch a chick-flick or shop for shoes. If I can’t open the pickle jar, I have no problem calling in my brother. If there’s a huge bug on my wall with 80,000 legs and a machete, I’m not against letting my dad handle it. None of this "trying to be just as good as the guy" baloney. Being different doesn't make you lower. "Equality" doesn't mean all can do all. I just don't think genders are celebrated enough for simply being their genders.

I think God created male and female to complement one another, but how can we complement one another if we're constantly trying to be like or "as good" as the other? Be different. Enjoy the differences. Live long and prosper.

4 comments:

  1. YOU go get some trimmin'.

    Could you write my english paper on gender roles in Shakespeare's plays for me? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen sista! Only a girl could get away with leaving a post like this. If a guy were to blog "Leave the sewin' to the women," they would be called a chauvinistic, womanizing pig. Can I agree with your post and not be considered such?

    By the way, I found your blog vicariously through Sarah's. It's very pretty. The Browns are going to win the AFC North and go to the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen Robby cry many a time. And usually over his own split ends.

    ReplyDelete