Friday, June 6, 2008

humor me

Yesterday while sitting in a coffee shop with my dad reading Of Mice and Men and drinking a bitter brew of some sort of nutty coffee, two young high school guys came in. One of them held a battered Snow White folder with duct tape around the edges. (At this point I wasn't really reading, if you couldn't tell.) They stood around awkwardly until a cute girl their same age came in.
"Hey," they greeted her. Boys that age are so suave.
"Hey," the girl replied. Class.
"How are you?"
"Good."
Then another guy came in. The girl greeted him enthusiastically with a hug. One of the boys who had already been there complained, "Why didn't I get a hug?"
The girl stammered, "You...have facial hair."
Oh, truthful adolescence.

We passed this sign in Sheboygan the other day, and for some reason I find it funny:

Smile
May is mental
health month
call 211 for help

Dad came up with this at dinner one night, and it's just ridiculous enough to be funny, in a pitiful sort of way:

What fruit does a monkey sleep on?
An ape-ricot!

Dad informed me this morning at breakfast that he knows a man who recently planted a church in a town called Northpoint. They rented a board on which to advertise their church, but because each letter cost money, they wanted to abbreviate their title. It read, "Join us at No. Point Church."

This is why I love the 1940s: Glenn Miller. Fred Astaire has nothing on those Nicholas Brothers!

And speaking of the 1940s, today is the 64th anniversary of D-Day. I should watch The Longest Day to commemorate, but that, in fact, is the longest movie. So I simply remember what I never experienced, in my small way of honoring unimaginable sacrifices.

"No, you get out and knock those Germans out, and then you can have a cup of tea." ~ An English D-Day veteran on the History Channel

2 comments:

  1. May is mental health month.

    Keep 'em alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That joke of your dad's is so funny! It has so many levels! Not just the "ape" pun, but the "cot" pun and then of course the fruit itself! I swear!

    (Note: None of this is sarcasm.)

    ReplyDelete