Tuesday, January 15, 2008

back in the salad again

Have you ever been singing a song in your head while you're thinking about, writing, talking about, watching, or doing something else, and you realize you're singing the wrong words? Today as I searched for my Microeconomics class in Reasoner 319 (you'd think after a year and a half I'd know which building is which) I sang "Back in the Saddle Again" in my head, only I realized, since I wasn't really paying attention, I was singing, "Back in the salad again." I've never been in the salad, but I think I'd rather be there than in the saddle.

Coming to college reminds me of going off to war, only I can't shoot myself in the foot to be taken off the front-line. "First day of classes" carries the same ring to it as "England declared war on Germany." Papers, books, and tests all mean the same to me as tanks, grenades, and rifles. I think it's funny how I always bring back books from home to school with me, thinking I'll have time to read them. And they always sit on my shelf, with a thin layer of dust on their tops by the time I pack them up to take back home with me. I wonder if, when I signed that "I will not drink, smoke, curse, or dance" contract at the beginning of my college career, the words "or have a life" were at the bottom of the page.

I shouldn't be so pessimistic and depressed. After all, there are so many people who have it worse than I - cross-cultural students who can't go home all year, students who can only go home once a year, and students who can't even come to college. What a privilege, honor, and blessing it is for me to be sitting in these classes and my chapel seat. I'll try to see it that way from now on.

Meanwhile football season is practically over...and...I wonder how many times I've mentioned "football" and "war" in the past few entries. I'll make an effort to mention more things about happiness in the future.

4 comments:

  1. "Back in the Saddle Again" reminds me of "Stuck in the Middle with You." I don't know why.

    I liked the thing about shooting yourself in the foot to be taken off the front-line. I also liked the "or have a life" comment.

    So which book (for fun) would you be reading right now if you had the time? I would still be reading that naked-chick-on-the-cover book by Jodi Picoult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog! :) I have a confession: I have been reading your blog for a while ( I saw a link to it on Sarah's site) but I was too shy to comment, so thanks for commenting first. I feel like you broke the ice.

    So, about your first paragraph.. stuff like that happens to me all the time. Part of my job is data entry, and I always listen to music while I work, and I occasionally find myself typing words from the song instead of the stuff I'm supposed to be doing. I turn into such a zombie at work sometimes.

    Where is it that you go to school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking Microeconomics toooo and my professor told us she took her first econ course with Hillary Clinton--and got a better grade. I tell ya what though, supply and demand curves make me want to knife myself. Riiiiich times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "back in the salad again" is a repeated line from the song "anywhere" by king missile.

    ReplyDelete