Wednesday, February 6, 2008

we need a good assassination

When my alarm went off at 7:00 yesterday morning I thought back to Christmas morning when, after going to bed at midnight, I woke up at 6:15 and eagerly bounced out of bed. Now I was struggling to get out of bed after 8 hours of sleep, and I delayed until my roommate's alarm went off at 7:30 before finally venturing out of my 100% Egyptian cotton sheets. There's such a difference between getting up to eat Stollen and sit by a fire while my cat toys with the ribbons on our presents and sitting for an hour and a half in my economics class while it's raining outside.

It's also interesting how much I didn't want to get up at 1:30 in the morning to sit in the basement during a tornado, as opposed to how excited I'd be to get up at 1:30 in the morning to, say, rise with all the saints at Jesus' second coming. I can just imagine Sam coming into my room and saying calmly, "Heather, Emily, you need to wake up. Jesus is coming back." I'm sure silver trumpets would be a much better awakening than tornado sirens. Though I think there's a special bonding that occurs between girls who are scrunched in the hall of a basement, wearing pajamas and sharing blankets, girls without makeup or contacts, wearing glasses and retainers. It's funny to see what people thought to bring when in a hurry to flee from a tornado. I thought about what I would miss if our dorm was destroyed and all of the contents of my room strewn across campus. And the one thing I thought about wasn't the 60 DVDs or my pristine complete history of WWII book or even my guitar. I began wishing I had brought down my teddy bear. I'd be sorry to ever be without Gilbert.

Mom and Dad are getting 12 inches of snow today in Wisconsin, and Dad woke Mom up this morning to make him pancakes. I sat in semi-darkness this morning at 7:15 eating cereal I stole from the cafeteria, and though I enjoy raisins and granola and bran, I wish I could have traded in my groggy munching for Mom's homemade buttermilk pancakes and Perkins' apricot syrup. I'm not quite ready to forgo my sweaters and argyle socks, but if it's going to be 65 degrees and thunderstorm anyway, I'd rather it be summer so I could go home and eat pancakes. Weather, get your act together.

I miss doing this....

4 comments:

  1. What's with the title of this post? I was expecting something political.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Your comment made me laugh. I love the sarcasm. Remember when I was visiting you guys in Wisconsin, and (in regards to your sarcasm) this exchange took place?:

    "You see how she talks to me?" asks Patti.
    "I get sarcastic with you when you ask a question with an obvious answer," Heather says, perhaps addressing both of us.
    "I like her sarcasm," I say. "It helps me be smarter by learning the extent of how dumb I am."

    (And as if to prove my point, I messed up the typing of that last phrase...it originally said:
    "...how dum I bam."
    I guess if I couldn't remember to stick the "b" at the end of "dumb," at least I got it in somewhere in the sentence.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment on Robby's latest post also made me laugh. Are you on fire today?

    ReplyDelete